Design is subjective and has many branches, but what is common is that designers require an insane amount of power to create – and especially on the move. So here’s my top 5 laptops for designers.
Choosing a laptop game of balance between performance and weight, large screen and portability, maximum features and affordable price.
Factors to consider before buying a laptop?
What factors define the best laptops for Designers?
Performance and speed:
- Processor: ensures that multiple open applications can run smoothly. Popular ones include: Core i5, Core i7, AMD Ryzen and Intel Xeon.
- RAM: allows the processor to process more data, which can dramatically improve laptop performance.
- Storage: can be SSD or HD. Don’t let anyone fool you – size matters.
- Screen: Resolution and size will help so much.
- Keyboard: has to be and FEEL comfortable.
- Battery life: Anything from 10 hours and above will solve life’s problems, I tell you.
What is the best laptop for designers then?
Based on the above factors, here’s my top 5.
1. The Apple Macbook Pro (16GB RAM)
- 9Th-generation 8-Core Intel Core i9 Processor
- Brilliant Retina Display with True Tone technology
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
- Radeon Pro 560x Graphics with 4GB of video Memory
- Ultrafast SSD
- Intel UHD Graphics 630
- Four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports
- Up to 10 hours of battery life — and more.
- Laptop-class Intel Core processor and improved graphics.
- USB-C and USB-A ports
- ultra-slim and light Surface Pro 7 starts at just 1.70 pounds
- All-day battery life up to 10.5 hours
- Core i5 and i7
- 16GB RAM
- 15.6 inch Fhd (1920 x 1080) Infinity Edge anti glare Non Touch
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7 9750h (12MB Cache, up to 4.5 Gigahertz, 6 Cores)
- 8GB DDR4 2666MHz, 2x4G
- 512G PCIe SSD
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
- Backlit English keyboard with fingerprint reader
4. Huawei MateBook X Pro Signature Edition Laptop, 13.9″ 3K Touch, 8th Gen i7-8550U, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, GeForce MX150
- Immersive 13.9-inch 3K touchscreen with 91% screen-to-body ratio, only 0.57-inch thin and weighs only 2.93 lbs., perfect for at-home or on-the-go computing
- 8th Gen Intel Core i7 8550U processor + NVIDIA GeForce MX150
- 3K touchscreen with 3, 000 x 2, 000 resolution, 1500:1 contrast ratio and 260 PPI allow you to see vivid details when viewing HD content.
- 2nd Gen Dolby ATMOS for immersive audio
- One Touch Power Button: Enabling users to power on the notebook, finish identity authentication through Windows Hello and access the desktop in less than 8 seconds.
- Bluetooth – Bluetooth 4.1
- Includes compact Mate Dock 2.0: USB-A port, USB-C port, HDMI port and VGA port.
and finally we get to the last one on the list of top 5 laptops for designers – web, graphic or video – and I saved the best for last. 🙂
5. HP ZBook Studio x360 G5 (Intel Xeon E-2176M, 16GB RAM, 1TB Sata SSD, 15.6″ FHD 1920×1080 Touch, NVIDIA Quadro P1000, ZBook Pen, Win10 Pro)
- Intel Xeon E-2176M processor (2.7 GHz, up to 4.4 GHz with Turbo Boost, 12MB cache, 6 core), NVIDIA Quadro P1000 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated) Graphics
- 15.6″ diagonal FHD LED UWVA for HD Webcam slim Touchscreen Ambient Light Sensor (1920×1080) Display, Intel 9560 ac 2×2 +Bluetooth 5 (vPro enabled)
- 16GB DDR4 Memory,
- Integrated HD 720p DualAryMic Webcam
- Keyboard: Clickpad Backlit Collaboration
- 1TB Sata SSD, 1 USB 3.0; 1 USB 3.0; 1 HDMI 2.0; 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 power connector; 2 USB 3.1 Type-C Thunderbolt 3 (DisplayPort 1.3), SDHC, SDXC card reader
There you have it! The best laptops for designers. I am quite aware that these are a bit pricey, but if you want to dream, why not dream big?
PS: I may get a commission if you purchase any of the items above.